Sinus pain can sometimes be unbearable for the millions of Americans who suffer from chronic sinusitis. The pressure inside the head from sinus problems can be debilitating, and in many cases medication is not sufficient to make a difference.
A revolutionary procedure that draws on the life-saving technology used in cardiac patients can help change the lives of people who have lived with chronic sinus pain.
Balloon sinuplasty involves using a catheter and balloon, which allows the doctor to widen the sinus passages by displacing bones and tissue below the sinus cavity.
“It’s been really gratifying to me to see this evolve from what was originally intended to be just another tool for use in surgery to recognizing it’s value and effectiveness as a stand alone treatment which helps patients avoid surgery,” -Dr. Michael Schwartz, Ear, Nose & Throat Associates of South Florida, P.A. in West Palm Beach, FL.
The benefits of this procedure include:
- Local Anesthetic—this broadens the number of patients who might be eligible for the procedure, including those who cannot be under a general anesthetic.
- Short Recovery Times— This procedure offers shorter recovery times than some sinus procedures. This enables the patient to get back to their normal routine in a day or two.
- Comfort— The procedure is performed in a doctor’s office and not a hospital, helping patients avoid some of the anxiety.
- Patient Satisfaction— Many patients who have undergone the procedure would recommend it to family and friends.
- Lower Cost— The procedure may offer lower out-of-pocket balloon sinuplasty cost for many patients because of the lower cost-of-care since the procedure is performed in a doctor’s office.
Additionally, balloon sinuplasty in Palm Beach now also takes advantage of PROPEL technology. It is a dissolvable stent that can be used to hold the nasal passages open after the procedure. As the stent dissolves, it releases anti-inflammatory drugs that can help reduce the risk of some of the complications that can arise from the procedure.
For those dealing with chronic sinusitis, this procedure can offer long-lasting relief. It is a proven and effective option that allows people to put the debilitating pain of sinus pressure behind them.